1. Thevis M, Thomas A, et al. Insulin. Handb Exp Pharmacol, 2010;(195):209-26.
2. Franch HA, Price SR. Molecular signaling pathways regulating muscle proteolysis during atrophy. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care, 2005 May;8(3):271-5.
3. Langfort JL, Zarzeczny R, et al. The effect of low-carbohydrate diet on the pattern of hormonal changes during incremental, graded exercise in young men. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab, 2001 Jun;11(2):248-57.
4. Stimson RH, Johnstone AM, et al. Dietary macronutrient content alters cortisol metabolism independently of body weight changes in obese men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 2007 Nov;92(11):4480-4.
5. Pariante CM. Risk factors for development of depression and psychosis. Glucocorticoid receptors and pituitary implications for treatment with antidepressant and glucocorticoids. Ann N Y Acad Sci, 2009 Oct;1179:144-52.
6. Kirbas D, Sutlas N, et al. The impact of prolonged hunger strike: clinical and laboratory aspects of twenty-five hunger strikers. Ideggyogy Sz, 2008 Sep 30;61(9-10):317-24.
7. Mettler S, Mitchell N, et al. Increased protein intake reduces lean body mass loss during weight loss in athletes. Med Sci Sports Exerc, 2010 Feb;42(2):326-37.
8. Das SK, Saltzman E, et al. Low or moderate dietary energy restriction for long-term weight loss: what works best? Obesity, (Silver Spring) 2009 Nov;17(11):2019-24.
9. Tsai AG, Wadden TA. The evolution of very-low-calorie diets: an update and meta-analysis. Obesity, (Silver Spring) 2006 Aug;14(8):1283-93.
10. Krauss RM, Eckel RH, et al. AHA dietary guidelines: revision 2000: a statement for healthcare professionals from the Nutrition Committee of the American Heart Association. Circulation, 2000;102:2284-99.
11. Lane AR, Duke JW, et al. Influence of dietary carbohydrate intake on the free testosterone: cortisol ratio responses to short-term intensive exercise training. Eur J Appl Physiol, 2010 Apr;108(6):1125-31.
12. Urhausen A, Gabriel H, et al. Blood hormones as markers of training stress and overtraining. Sports Med, 1995 Oct;20(4):251-76.
13. Adlercreutz H, Härkönen M, et al. Effect of training on plasma anabolic and catabolic steroid hormones and their response during physical exercise. Int J Sports Med, 1986 Jun;7 Suppl 1:27-8.
14. Cook CM, Haub MD. Low-carbohydrate diets and performance. Curr Sports Med Rep, 2007 Jul;6(4):225-9.
15. Degoutte F, Jouanel P, et al. Food restriction, performance, biochemical, psychological, and endocrine changes in judo athletes. Int J Sports Med, 2006 Jan;27(1):9-18.
16. Tomiyama AJ, Mann T, et al. Low Calorie Dieting Increases Cortisol. Psychosom Med, 2010 Apr 5. [Epub ahead of print] 17. Lambert CP, Frank LL, et al. Macronutrient considerations for the sport of bodybuilding. Sports Med, 2004;34(5):317-27.
18. Volek JS, Sharman MJ, et al. Body composition and hormonal responses to a carbohydrate-restricted diet. Metabolism, 2002 Jul;51(7):864-70.